1958-- The Quarter Aces Car Club members based in Boiling Springs, Pa. decided to purchase property and build their own drag strip. With help of some of the parents, the club members put together enough cash for a down payment on 44 acres of land on Petersburg Road that is now Quarter Aces drag-O-Way. Construction of the track was started right away but it took till the summer of 1962 before the track opened. The track had about a hundred feet of black top and the rest was gravel and was run as a 1000 ft. track. The first year the cost to race was 75 cents.
1962 to 1971-- The Quarter Aces Car Club made improvements through the ten seasons they operated the track but as members got older, more family and job commitments came along and membership fell off a bit they thought about selling the facility. During the off-season the track was sold to Ron and Ethel Wallace and Ed and Kay Stambaugh.
1972 to 2007-- With the new owners a name change came about. Quarter Aces was now changed to South Mountain Dragway. Many updates were performed to the track including a new tower in 1983, better guard rails more paving and other improvements. In 1985 the track become and NHRA member and the first team to represent South Mountain headed to the Bracket Finals. Lights were installed in the early 90's and the Friday Night shows presented by Carlisle Events got under way. New track paving in 1997 was also was big improvement for the track. Finally after 36 years of continuous operation by the Wallace and Stambaugh families the track was sold in November of 2007 to local business man and big drag race fan and racer Stanley Dye of Carlisle, Pa.
2008 to present-- First before any updates were performed the name of the track went back to the original "Quarter Aces Drag-O-Way" Right away big changes were coming, before opening day a completely new concrete starting line and burn out area were replaced, new moved and enlarged staging lanes were built, pit area re-graded for better drying and more room, new roads built, remodeled timing tower and food stand, new electric service, new timing system and sound system installed, more and bigger guard rail and jersey wall installed. New radios for track personnel purchased.
2009 and beyond-- More paving, grandstands, scoreboards all coming this year.
More improvements are also being planned for the 2010 season. Come visit us often this year become part of the "Quarter Aces Family!"